Together with my co-founder, Merald Holloway, I have been gradually building the basis for a buying co-op here in Durham & beyond.
On Thursday at 6pm
, Merald and I will join some really remarkable entrepreneurs:
- Geraud Staton (Helius Foundation) – watch the first 2 minutes of this video and you’ll be blown away by the inequity in black business ownership in Durham, where we once were and where we are today. Geraud’s one of the most pioneering contributors to this space.
- Keith Daniels and Tom Droege (Resilient Ventures) – a mix between an angel and VC fund, aimed specifically at helping black entrepreneurs in Durham, NC, and beyond.
- Rob Sheilds & Zenzele Barnes from ReCity Network (see previous roundtable events here), will be hosting and facilitating an interactive community conversation that I hope will re-invigorate our imagination of what we can be doing together to really move the needle.
Might you be able to join us on Thursday and ask a hard question, that deepens our collective thinking on this?
I’m inviting you for two reasons:
(1) I think you have something to contribute & believe the conversation can help us imagine more about what kinds of partnerships and collaborations are possible.
(2) Geraud, Keith, Tom, Rob, Zenzele, and Merald are grounded in the reality we live in, but are taking big leaps to do the hard tangible work to push us forward.
I’ve been inspired by their grounded-ness, audacity, and hope this conversation can help move us collectively in the right direction.
Thursday, Feb 7, at 6pm | ReCity Network 112 Broadway St
A Community Conversation featuring
- Helius Foundation
- Resilient Ventures
- Community Purchasing Alliance
a simple dinner will be provided
RSVP — it’s free.
Community Purchasing Alliance Cooperative
If you’re not able to make it, but want a sense of the couple short stories I will share, here is a 4-minute video
along the lines of what I’ll be saying.
In 2018, our coop aggregated $16 M in contracts. 60% went to minority owned businesses. Here’s my invite to you… let’s come together to actualize the flourishing of ALL entrepreneurs in our community by implementing anti-racist spending decisions at our community institutions.
Or better yet,